Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Support Page

Some people wonder why I run the support page I run. For those of you who don’t know, I am the owner of a Facebook support page called DogTags N BabyFever. Initially I made the page just for Marine Corps wives who have children, want children and who are trying to conceive. Later I expanded it to wives, girlfriends and fiancées of any man in any branch of the military, who have children, want children and who are trying to conceive.
Well I made the page because I had never seen a support group for pregnancy and parenting. I have no children but I do want them. I know a lot about pregnancy and even though I am not a parent I believe I have been around babies and children enough to help others out when they need advice and support. I love the page and I love to think that I have made a difference in someone’s life by giving them advice or having the other girl’s on the site give advice to them.
In addition to pregnancy and parenting questions, I get a lot of relationship questions. I get questions about family, friends, life, money… basically anything and everything someone needs advice on. I do it because I love to help people. I do it for other people to meet friends in their area and I do it so I can make friends as well. I’ve made some very great friendships from the page and I don’t think I would have ever met them if I hadn’t made the page. Of course I wouldn’t have known they existed if I didn’t make the page so it wouldn’t matter but now that I do know them and they have helped me through hard times and given me love and advice, I couldn’t imagine my life without them. I hope other ladies on the page have had the same experience.
It’s hard to be the significant other of a man in the military. You have to deal with the loneliness, the distance and the obvious dangers that I don’t have to mention. When stuck between a rock and a hard place sometimes the best people to turn to are people who have been in your same situation. When my husband and I went through our first deployment I know the only people who made me feel better besides my family were other ladies who were going through deployments as well.
That’s the point of the site. To help others and to get help from others. We all need it from time to time. Some people only like to get advice from people they know but personally, sometimes I prefer getting advice from semi-strangers because then I know they at least can’t judge me. Even if they do, it doesn’t matter because they don’t know me either.  

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that i met you. Just like you had said, i wouldnt of met you without you making this site so i am SSSOOO glad you did. I wasnt actually a member of the site until i saw you on Cort's page. So i'm thankful for Cort's support site too! lol i love you girlie and you give GREAT advice! I cant wait to finally meet you sometime and hang out instead of hang out on skype lol. But yay for Skype!!! :) Support sites are awesome. I never had a support site while Jake was deployed. I think it would of been soooo much help! I am glad you still let me be a member even though i am not trying to have a kid and am not married to a marine anymore!! yay yay yay! Keep up your great posts girl!

    ReplyDelete