Thursday, April 7, 2011

Memories

Today I watched a movie with my father in law. In the movie there was this guy who had a daughter with this woman named Petal. Well Petal went and ran off with their daughter, Bunny, and Petal sold Bunny to the black market for $6,000. Petal then got into a car accident and was killed on impact and the police found Bunny and returned her to her father. Well there’s a lot of turns and twists in the story and I’d tell you the title so you could watch it for yourself but I can’t remember what it is. Anyways, the guy starts talking to his aunt and she says “It takes a full turn of the calendar to get over losing someone.” That got me thinking. A year can be a long time, or a short time, whichever way you want to look at it. Either way, I don’t think a year is enough time to get over losing your significant other, especially the other parent of your child. Maybe it is enough time to move on, but I don’t believe someone will truly ever ‘get over’ losing their significant other.
I believe there is a difference between getting over something and moving on. Getting over it means you’ve forgotten. It means you don’t care anymore and it doesn’t ever cross your mind and if it does, it doesn’t affect your mood in the least bit. Moving on means that you’ve accepted what’s happened and you’re ready to get on with your life but you still hang on to that memory, that hurt and that feeling. The love and happiness you felt when you were with that person still remain when you think about their life, but the hurt and emptiness you felt when you lost them come when you think about what happened that it came to an end. I’ve lost people I cared about and I’ve moved on. I miss them when I think about them and it kills me to know that they’re really gone but I’m okay. They live on by my memories and by the memories that others had with them as well.
Memories are all some of us have of the ones we’ve loved the most. Some of us don’t have belongings or photos left because time has marched on and things have gotten lost. Personally, I always try to keep one piece of the loved ones I’ve lost. For my great-grandmother, I have a doll she made me when I was a kid. For my unofficial brother, I have a shirt and a picture I drew him. For my mother in law, I have her gloves and tons of photos. I was only four when my grandmother passed but I do remember her and I have her name.
Make good memories every single day. Cherish every moment you have with your loved ones. Laugh as often as you can and smile even more.

2 comments:

  1. My moms parents both passed away in 2010. We just passed the one year mark of my grandmas death. My grandpa passed in december. Its hard losing people you care about but I made memories with them. When we found out my grandpa was sick my mom nephew and I went to visit my grandpa and my nephew said "grandpa great I have that nana?" Lol he wanted to eat a banana my grandpa had on his table. That was the last memory of my grandpa. Its a good and funny one!! He passed suddenly so I now realize that I should not hold anything back because you nevwr know when someone will be gone!!

    ReplyDelete